Avenues

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Iselyn Dallas - Breast Cancer Killer


There are millions of breast cancer survivors in the world today, plausibly more than any other form of cancer survivors. This bittersweet distinction is made possible because of cancer's unrelenting onslaught on so many women but also because regular examinations, medical technology, science and equipment have made early discovery, proper diagnosis and correct treatment possible. We now have the ability to fight back. (Click on images for enhanced detail)

An Emotional Iselyn Dallas Reliving her most Vulnerable Moments
When she was First Diagnosed With Breast Cancer.
When I look into her dark ebony-coloured eyes
I see a woman who has battle scars, but is unbroken.
Here's a woman whose strength is formidable
and her spirit resilient. An Extremely Powerful Image.
"Hi! I'm Iselyn Dallas. Breast Cancer Survivor." Iselyn Dallas is a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner at Lakeside Pediatrics in Lakeland, FL whom I've known for almost ten years. Iselyn was diagnosed with breast cancer on October 2, 2006, just 30 days before her wedding. "It was a shock. It felt like a death sentence." she says, looking back. "I was devastated, because it was a death sentence for something I was not guilty of. Until that October day 9 years ago, I never really gave much thought to my own mortality. My mortality had suddenly turned into a reality." "The words “you have breast cancer” were a slap in the face and the stark reality that everything as I knew would be no more. What do you do when everything you know suddenly becomes everything you don’t know? Instead of asking what’s for dinner, I now asked am I going to die? Fear took a strong hold of my life initially because I had young adult children and family that I loved fiercely and couldn't imagine not being there with any of them."

Iselyn Looks to her Faith in God for Shelter and Support.
Another Extremely Compelling Image.
Iselyn adds "Also what did I know about surgery, chemotherapy, radiation? All of which I now had to face. It was overwhelming, frightening and lonely. Unless you have walked this journey there isn’t any way to know the devastation it brings. I can still remember that day vividly one minute I was taking care of my patients and the next, my boss Dr. Cory was taking care of me. I was blessed to have unconditional support from my Lakeside Pediatrics family and my amazing family and friends. I also prayed and tuned to God for guidance."

Iselyn Finding Strength and Determination to Fight
and to Live Again While Reading the Holy Bible.
"Come on! I've got to beat the odds! This can't be the end of the world!" "This wasn't an easy journey, but I emerged with a new outlook about life and helping other women." That's when Iselyn decided to fight back, not just for herself, but for women everywhere. In 2008 she started I'm a Survivor, Inc. a breast cancer fund raising nonprofit organization to financially and emotionally support women diagnosed with this illness. "I learned that recovery and survival means you need to have mental, physical, financial and spiritual support, and “survivor” tries to provide all of that."

Iselyn Reflecting on her Past Struggles and Enjoying a Peaceful Day at Peterson Park in Lakeland, Florida
A Jubilant Iselyn Celebrates "Life" and her Victory over Cancer.
Life's too Short to Sit and Cry About.
Today Iselyn is the paradigm of good health, charity, optimism, good spirituality and radiance. She puts her struggles behind her and treats countless children in Lakeland every day and nurses them to back to wellness. Counseling women based on her experiences, knowledge and struggles has become second nature. "You can lower your risks with proper diet, regular exercise and de-stressing your daily life. But if it is inheritable, breast cancer may attack you no matter what lifestyle you lead. Regular screenings and early detection are the key to survival. Most importantly, if you're unfortunate enough to become a victim, don't give up!" "Life is short. Hug your kids and spend time with your loved ones."

Charting Out a New Course for her Life. Ready to go Wherever Life Takes Her.
"In January of 2014 I was appointed the Tampa chapter president of Sisters Network which is a national African American survivorship organization. Because although African American women are diagnosed the least , but succumb to this disease the most Sisters Network is my passion along with survivor  because between the two organizations I get to support women from all backgrounds. Not one of chose this journey - it chose us." "Today I live by the words “life is what you make it, So make it while you’re living”!!! She quotes Stuart Scott "Surviving cancer is about how you live, why you live and the manner in which you live."

A Visionary Iselyn Takes a Glimpse into the Future
of her Foundation as She Leans on the Handrail for Support.
She Needs Help From Others to Achieve her Goals.
We know breast cancer can be curable, yet care remains beyond reach for so many women. This horrible disease remains widespread, relentless, devastating and deadly for many. Survival chances have improved, but risks remain and recurrence and lethality are always a constant threat, never in distant memory. As you rightly knew, the poor suffer the most. Time has come to find a complete cure. This is where we can help. Lakeside Pediatrics has made a generous donation to her cause every year since 2008. My first pledge was to help Iselyn by bringing attention to her cause and her annual fundraiser. Show her you care by helping her foundation with your generous support or pledge. 100 percent of ALL profits generated from the sale of portraits (shown above) autographed by Iselyn Dallas will be donated directly to her foundation. That's my second promise. You've just met Iselyn Dallas, breast cancer survivor. Now get to know Iselyn Dallas, Breast Cancer Killer.

Capture Your Life & Dictate Your Legacy.

Message from Y. Chachad: Anyone can muster enough courage and find the inspiration they need to fight from reading this essay, whether it be dueling cancer, another disease, alcohol or drug addiction or whatever demons you have. The purpose of this story is to never lose hope. Here's Wishing you a Healthy and Happy 2015.

1 comment:

  1. Very touching. Mad me cry. B&W photos are too good.

    ReplyDelete