"Scardino". "Chach". With a pipe clenched between his teeth, the professor calls out names of students worried about flunking as he hands out graded ME 303 Fluid Mechanics test papers. Then he pauses for a moment, stares bewildered through his 1950s spectacles and exclaims "En-Gee!" and then again "En-Gee?" Ng is a student and those aren't his initials. "What the hell kind of name is En-Gee? I've never seen a name without vowels and just two letters. How in the world are you supposed to say it?" Ng, a Mechanical Engineering foreign student from Vietnam, stands up and answers "Ungh." Grabbing his pipe before it falls to the floor, an even more confounded old man, visibly shocked, exclaims loudly "UNGH? That's not a name. That's a grunt." The entire class including Ng bursts out into laughter. Thoroughbred German, completely American, and 100 percent Sauerkraut was Dr. Karl Brenkert Jr., Dean and Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Mississippi. He didn't give two hoots or half a damn. Back in the fall of 1987, such antics would be tolerated. Today, in times of political correctness gone awry, he'd be shown the door, but not before his prestigious status had been revoked. Dr. Brenkert was a trip and everyone enjoyed the ride.
![]() |
| Classic portrait of a younger Dr. Brenkert in his office. Photo credit unknown |
I remember the incident during an Engineering Dynamics class when a smart alec civil engineering student stuck an ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers bumper sticker to the back of his pride and joy
A Graduate of The University of Michigan and Stanford University, Dr. Brenkert was a popular personality among students and respected among faculty peers. When the giant finally bid goodbye to Ole Miss in 1988 he left a void in the department that was never filled. One of his peers was Dr. Tom Horton, another Stanford Ph.D. recruited by Dr. Brenkert to Ole Miss. Dr. Brenkert always spared a few moments to glorify the brilliance of Dr. Thomas Horton at Stanford, always pointing out that even distinguished professors at Stanford were in awe of his genius and regularly approached then graduate student Tom for solutions to problems.
Students were his passion and Dr. Brenkert always invited them to his home to tell stories from a bygone era. Dr. Brenkert always said "You don't have to do anything in life. You don't have to come to class. You don't have to take my tests. But you must face the consequences by failing the class. It's therefore best to do things. Regardless, you don't have to do anything in life." What a profound lesson to young engineers. I have always remembered his words. I don't have to do anything in life. I do things because I choose to do so.
![]() |
| Dr. Brenkert as I remember him Photo credit unknown |
Note: Some of the above statements may not be completely accurate. I am going by a 30 year old memory. If you wish to add to the story or correct my essay, I would be very grateful. These are not my photographs and I am not taking credit for them. If I can ask for permission or give credit to the correct person I will do so. If you wish for me to take them down (which I hope you do not), I will honour your request. Capture Your Life. Dictate Your Legacy.


Dear Yatin,
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed reading this piece. Dr. Brenkert had a fall and so I was drafted to teach his Dynamics of Systems class in 1988 Spring (I was a new PhD student that started in Fall 1987). Perhaps you were in my class too.
Coming to point, I appreciate your penmanship on the story of Dr. Brenkert. I learnt his wife passed away in 2017.
Hope to catch up with more stories of our Ole Miss days.
Subha
Hello Subha, Of course I was in your class. Please call me, my number is in the blog, or you can find me on Facebook. Best wishes, please get back in touch. Thanks, Chach
Delete