Avenues

Thursday, June 2, 2016

A Memorable Memorial Day

Memorial Day, 2016. It’s been memorable in the past. I stepped out of my car parked at Lake Morton only to find myself completely covered in dog hair. As I opened the rear door of my car to assist my elderly puppy-child Radar step out, I could see a “sixties-ish” aged woman approaching from about 50 feet away. I'm cursing but also thankful she's not like the young hottie I met last week who was selling me loads of toothpaste - it would have been a poor first impression. Believe me, this toothpaste thing happens "alot". I don't bother fixing my appearance or dusting off dog hair. At my age I could care less. The elderly woman wore loose clothing, donned a convertible cap and wore sunglasses to protect her eyes from the rising sun, which in spite of its low morning intensity, can stress sight enough to trigger migraines. As Radar started to sniff the interesting smells on the fresh-dewed grass, the woman broke the silence of the calm lake “He’s reading the newspaper you know.” “Excuse me?” I replied failing to understand what she meant. Smiling, she explained “A sniffing dog is equivalent to a human reading the newspaper. Dogs do that to find out who’s been there before and what happened before they got there.” I smile back at her appreciatively, simply to express my gratitude for her conversation and smile.

Today, exchanges of pleasantries between strangers are rare commodities from the dinosaur era. Lucky for me, I'm Mr. T-Rex and I prey on smiles. I tell her how I happened to adopt Radar after losing my dearest Elsa and what a great life-saving companion he’s been for me. The conversation suddenly changes its direction without indication and catches me off guard. “Jesus can be life saving too you know” the woman says. I sardonically exclaim to myself “That’s just what I ordered!” but I don’t stop her. I am not going to be just polite, but I want to appreciate her for taking the time to talk to me. Ever since I reclined from my engineering duties I don’t come into conversations with anyone other than my wife, children and my friend Walter. I lead a completely isolated existence. Any conversation is good therapy and free is best.

Judging from my non-native appearance the woman tries to confirm “Have you heard of Jesus?” I nodded affirmatively explaining I wasn't born in Papua New Guinea. I grew up in India going to a Jesuit catholic school and college, having not only read the bible before, but having one in my possession. “Jesus died for our sins and the only path to heaven is through Jesus. If you believe in Jesus you’ll go to heaven forever. Otherwise you’ll end up in a really hot place that's not very nice. Once you’re in the other place you’re in for eternity.” I know the place she’s talking about. Life’s not so bad, yet I have a feeling I’ve been there before. The woman asks “Would you like to go to heaven or would you like to go to hell?” I am not presented with much challenge here, my decision taking a split-second before I answer “Heaven.” She takes out a little yellow printout from the front pocket of her white capri and asks “Would you like to say a prayer with me? You simply repeat what I say.” “Sure thing.” I respond, knowing I have nothing to lose. We start reciting the prayer by the verse. She goes first followed by me. It’s the one that is aptly titled “Pray this prayer with me” which I present in it’s entirety for you.

Pray this prayer with me

Heavenly Father, in Jesus name, forgive my sins.
I believe that Jesus lived and died and that You raised Him
to life again, all because You loved me.

Lord Jesus, come into my heart and be the Lord of my life.
Give to me the assurance of my salvation, which is your
Holy Spirit filling my heart as a child of the living God.

In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

(Click on images for enhanced detail)
That's Right. One Way Ticket to Heaven, Babeee. No Charge.
I didn't have my camera on Memorial Day
so I had to Return to Lake Morton for Nostalgia.
Image taken on June 02, 2016.


When we have stopped reciting we look at each other and smile. I'm feeling good. It’s true. As I read along I experienced a simultaneous parallel flashback that time-transported me back to 1979 when Father Jose Luis Aran, our Spanish vice-principal at St. Xavier’s High School used to teach us how to sing prayers in the name of God. The brilliance of Father Aran was in the fact that in spite of being a Spaniard in a foreign country, he embraced India as his permanent home and all his prayers were Indian influenced so the common Indian could relate to. Pure Genius!

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the woman I’m with suddenly starts talking in a foreign language. Surprised, I ask her what it was and what it meant. “It’s Vietnamese, or Vietnamese like.” I asked her how she learned Vietnamese, to which she replied nobody taught her, it simply came to her through her belief in Jesus. It means whatever she wanted it to mean. It's not really Vietnamese. To my Vietnamese ignorant ears it sounded as accurately Vietnamese as Hanoi Beef and Pho noodles. “I can also speak Yiddish-like.” Suddenly she starts reciting something that sounds like Moses and the Ten Commandments. “What does that mean and who taught you that?” I ask knowing very well her answer is going to be “Whatever I want it to mean and Jesus taught me that.” She doesn't disappoint me. "You can chant anything you like because good can come from anything you say as long as you believe in it." she reminds me. There. Lesson learned.

I’m here to walk my dog and we’ve been talking for about 30 minutes already and I am still standing next to my car. I don’t like to waste time, but I get the feeling this time I’m not wasting my time. The woman proceeds to tell how she lived in Alaska and she had a brain tumor and cancer and how she was miraculously healed without medicine simply by asking Jesus to heal her. She asks if I had any problems or health issues. I explained that recent vision tests had confirmed the onset of cataract in my eyes and risk of glaucoma. That and my little Radar was getting old and I just adopted him not long ago. She says that Jesus can heal me and Radar by her saying a prayer as long as I believed in Jesus and the power of healing. By this time I'm thinking this is so unlike who I am, but I agree without skepticism because I have no other medicine. She places her hands over my eyes gently and starts chanting another prayer. With hundreds of thoughts flowing through my head, I am in a hypnotic trance but I can remember hearing the words Jesus, heal, cataract, eyes, glaucoma, please and Amen. If I was outside Cabrini Greens Chicago project with my eyes covered, I’d be worried for my dog, wallet and life, but I felt safe in her hands. When she’s done, she uncovers my eyes. We look into each other's eyes and smile again. I give her a thank you hug. She puts her hands on Radar’s head and recites another prayer for him. I tell her “Radar says thank you.” “Do you have any other problems?” she pushes further. I thought about answering “Duh! Like I can’t sleep at night, I miss my dearest Elsa, I have migraines, my back hurts and so on.” Instead, I graciously reply “No. Everything else is just right”. I may have a couple of little issues but I also have ten million other reasons to be grateful for. I do lead an enviable and blessed life and my family truly loves me. If I were to be offered a wish I'd want to be a kinder, gentler person. For now, I am indeed fortunate to be the chosen recipient of this most unexpected gift. Absolute healing will take patience, but I know I'm feeling better already.

All this has happened in the street, out in the open. I'm not embarrassed. We finally start walking around the lake but she takes the very next street exit. I call out to her as she moves ahead of me “I walk here all the time, so I’ll see you again. Thanks for everything.” Poor Little Radar just can’t keep up. “Wait! I'm Yatin. Thanks for being my friend.” I suddenly shout out to her, subconsciously kicking myself for not introducing myself to my new saviour/healer/stranger elderly woman friend sooner. “I’m Anne”.

All my life I've tried to help others. Today I was the beneficiary of much needed help. This episode has only sparked my hunger to help others even further. I urge you to follow your instincts. Times like these make Memorial Day a day to be thankful for. Wishing you a great Memorial Day. Belated. I'll remember this as the day I met Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment