Avenues

Thursday, February 25, 2021

Hooked on Great White American Pelicans

It's 2014, at some time in the November evening. I look up in the skies with eagerness after scanning the lake. I visited the lake daily, anticipating their arrival, until finally my diligence and patience paid off.  In the distant sky, I witnessed the first flock of migrating Great White American Pelicans to arrive at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida for the winter, gliding down like a squadron of WWII fighters in classic V formation. The squadron leader commands the flock to circle above the lake, confirming the precise location and safety.  Once there's no evidence of threat, they all land into the lake in a big "SWOOSH", their journey complete. Pelicans don't require a GPS or Google maps. Masters of navigation, they've been perfecting this trick for millennia.

Click on the pictures for enhanced detail.


Of the many blessings that I've been showered with, witnessing this great migration spectacle ranks at the very top of the list.  It is most humbling and awe-inspiring to spend countless hours with these magnificent birds.  Surely, you envy.

These birds are no strangers. I consider them my friends, having spent considerable time together chatting silently. Carrying battle scars, missing legs and distorted wings as badges of honour, each individual has his own identity and exhibits a unique personality.  Live Large. If you have it, flaunt it.

I posted this blog at the request of my childhood school friend Saurabh Shah, who encouraged (pushed) me to share my pictures with the rest of the world. "Stop being selfish." he chided me.  Thank you Saurabh Bhai for your support.

Please keep reading for a related story that unfolded a few days ago.


A pelican enjoying a flaming orange sunset on banks of the lake. The outside pelican is always on lookout duties, while the rest of the flock grooms itself and enjoys leisure time. As soon as another pelican perches next to him/her, the original lookout gets a break. Since our hero is at the end of the wall, he is on perpetual duty, unless he goes swimming. He kept tracking my every move, always watchful of my camera's presence.





These majestic birds grace the banks of Lake Morton, basking in the evening sun, looking for mates, skimming the lake surface for fish and gliding effortlessly through the wind, flapping their 10-foot wings only during takeoff. Apologies Canadians, the original and true snowbirds are Great White American Pelicans.







I begin taking pictures from a distance and gradually creep in, gaining their confidence. When a trust develops, I'm rewarded with an extreme closeup expression. "Eye of Sauron". Looking formidable, this giant pierces my soul with his ruby red eyes blazing, claiming the fiery light of the mighty sun as his very own. Absolutely magical.



A stunning display. This giant is blessed not only with grace and magnificence but also with power to pull it off.  Mesmerizing.


Some of his friends have already started migrating.
A parting look that I acknowledged, "I'll be back next year" he said.

Updated Story. HOOKED!!!


I was hooked on pelicans and then I met a hooked pelican. On February 13th, 2021, I photographed this magnificent Great White American Pelican with a rusted metal hook going through and through its neck at Lake Morton.  I didn't see the hook myself until I shared the pictures with my friend Hanif Abdul who mentioned it. I called and reported the finding to Lakeland Parks and Recreation Authorities. Apparently, someone had already taken notice. The bird was captured and the hook surgically removed. He was then returned to the lake to his mates to prepare for his migration north. 


If you find this story, blog or photographs interesting, Please consider donating to your local animal rescue, SPCA or bird sanctuary. Save a life - go vegan for a day or forever. Your body will thank you.

PLEASE DISPOSE OF YOUR TRASH RESPONSIBLY!!!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing creatures captured via talented photography!! Great narratives too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, Yatin. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subhanallah Cha Cha Cha
    Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete